Any outdoorsman will tell you that splitting logs is one of the more difficult aspects of their lifestyle. In this article, I’ll review how to choose the best electric log splitter to use this year.
- Electric Log Splitter Buyers Guide
- How to Choose an Electric Log Splitter
- What are the advantages/benefits of electric log splitters?
- What should I look for when purchasing electric log splitters?
- What’s the best way to use electric log splitters?
- What are some issues with using electric log splitters?
- Prerequisites for Using an Electric Log Splitter
- Electric Wood Splitter Product Reviews
- 5-Ton Splitters
- 7-Ton Splitters
- 10-Ton Splitters
After the buyer’s guide, I’ll go more in-depth and review a few of my favorite electric log splitter options.
Electric Log Splitter Buyers Guide
Unfortunately, splitting logs isn’t free. Buying an ax and using that to split logs might seem like the most cost-effective solution, but purchasing an electric log splitter might be in your best interest. This is simply because it’s more powerful and efficient than cutting logs with an ax.
There are tons of other reasons why you should purchase an electric log splitter, but it comes down to that basic principle; you’ll never get this kind of power with an ax.
Now that you know electric log splitters are the way to go, it’s time to learn what makes a great model. From the price to the size of the log, the type of wood, and the density of the wood, there are many factors that influence whether a splitter is a quality choice.
That’s why I’ve put together this buyer’s guide on log splitters you should buy. Read on to learn how you can take into account every factor of the product, and then choose the perfect wood splitter for you.
How to Choose an Electric Log Splitter
What are the advantages/benefits of electric log splitters?
You wouldn’t want to waste your money on a product you don’t need, or a product that doesn’t make your life easier. That’s why you should go with an electric log splitter — these tools offer tons of advantages that outweigh the drawbacks.
As any logger knows, splitting logs by hand takes tons of time. You don’t only need to cut the wood into pieces that fit into the fireplace, but you also need to make sure that those pieces are manageable. When using a wood splitter, you can cut the wood into small and compact enough pieces.
The amount of time saved is based on the type of log splitter you purchase (for instance, a manual wood splitter will not be as fast as a gas-powered or electric one), but it will still take much less time than using an ax.
Secondly, it minimizes the amount of work you have to do. If you’ve tried splitting wood with an ax, you know how much energy it takes up. With a splitter, the machine does the work for you. All you need to do is load the round into the splitter. Manual splitters require more work than powered ones, but still demands less labor than an ax.
Convenient to Carry
Finally, log splitters are portable. This product is designed in a way that is easily stored and moved around. You can use it anywhere with an outlet.
A wood splitter requires very minimal maintenance. Any machine you purchase will require maintenance, but log splitters have a relatively small footprint and won’t overwhelm you with the upkeep. Powered splitters, as opposed to manual ones, will require more maintenance.
This is beneficial for most users because disassembling and moving your wood splitter every time you need to use it is difficult and time-consuming. With most log splitters, you can move it around without taking it apart.
It’s also much safer to use a log splitter. With an ax, you run the risk of slipping and injuring your leg or foot.
What should I look for when purchasing electric log splitters?
You don’t want to just go on a search engine, search “best splitter log options,” and choose the first result that comes up. There are several things you need look for when it comes to getting the best log splitter electric options:
- Powerful motor. Your log splitter’s motor needs to be powerful enough to cut through hard, soft, wet, dry, and any other kind of wood for years. You need an electric wood splitter that has enough power to get through the toughest jobs. Consider the RAM splitting force, amps, and horsepower to pick one that’s adequate for your needs. An electric motor is usually strong enough to work.
- Log length and diameter splitting range. The log length and diameter that the splitter can physically accept will determine how much work you can get done with it. It’s always better to get a splitter that can accept a larger size than you need, rather than one that might be too small. Err on the side of caution just in case.
- Hardware. Make sure your log splitter includes wheels for portability and a ball hitch for towing. These products are extremely heavy. Although the wheels are great for moving the splitter short distances, a hitch is best for moving it long distances. For instance, many of the wood splitters from Boss Industrial come with large wheels for stability and portability.
- Fast cycle time. Log splitters with fast cycle times will allow you to get a ton more work done in less time. The best log splitters have a cycle time of about fifteen seconds.
- Steel construction. Log splitters need strong hardware to be durable and have several years of swift and efficient wood splitting. All-steel construction design is the best way to accomplish this.
- Warranty and Manufacturer. The best log splitters will have a solid warranty that lasts at least one year. You should also be buying your log splitter from a reputable company such as Yardmax, Boss Industrial, Ironton, Powerhouse, or similar reputable brands.
- Price. The price is something you definitely need to take into account. You can’t just get these machines for free; they come at a huge monetary price, but they pay for themselves in the long run.
What’s the best way to use electric log splitters?
There really is no “best way” to use an electric log splitter for wood. However, there is the safest way to use it. This machine exerts 20+ tons of hydraulic force, so you need to use it with caution. Here are a few safety tips to ensure you get the best out of your log splitter:
- Use your log splitter during the day, so are free to see what you’re doing.
- Wear sturdy shoes or boots, as well as safety goggles or glasses. Wood chips and wood pieces will fly, so stay protected.
- Wear form-fitting clothing and tie up your hair. Anything that is free-flowing off your body can get caught, and you may get injured.
- Make sure the beam for the log splitter is locked before you start the machine.
- Do not try to split more than one wood log with your log splitter at a time.
- Keep your log splitting area clear and free of debris. It should also be free of dirt and dust, so you should clean between each use.
- Operate your log splitter on flat, solid, dry ground free of slants or inclines.
Before you begin using your log splitter, you need to take the proper safety precautions. Wear long pants and protective shoes, gloves, and safety glasses. Then, take these basic steps to operate your log splitter:
- Position your wood splitter near your wood, so you do not need to drag and haul the wood every time you need to split it.
- Make sure it’s positioned correctly on flat and level ground.
- Turn on the wood splitter.
- Load the wood logs onto the splitter one at a time. How you do this depends on the model; some logs will load horizontally, but some logs will load vertically. Read the user manual to ensure you are loading logs correctly.
- Activate the lever to start the machine pushing the log. Make sure to watch where your hands are so you aren’t in danger of getting them caught in the machine.
- When the wood log splits, you will remove it from the bed and repeat the process.
What are some issues with using electric log splitters?
There’s nothing worse than setting aside time to do some work, then discovering your machinery isn’t working. Here are some common problems with electric log splitters, as well as the solutions to resolve them.
Vibration or Shaking
Vibration or shaking when you are using the log splitter can mean that the splitter is low on hydraulic oil. Check the oil, and if it is still shaking, make sure that there is no air in the oil line. You always need to know that your oil levels are correct before using electric log splitters.
Little to No Driving Force
The loss of driving force when splitting wood can mean that there is air in the hydraulic oil lines. Check this and refer to the user manual so you can open the bleed valve and cycle the pressure plate back and forth properly. This issue could also be due to cold weather.
Hydraulic Valve Leaks
If your hydraulic valve is leaking, your seals might have failed or the lines may be compromised. The seals can be resealed or replaced, but if your lines are compromised, you will have to replace them.
Some manufacturers will offer these services for a low price or completely free, even if you are out of warranty. For instance, Boss Industrial or Lowe’s log splitter products often come with free replacement parts at no cost.
Prerequisites for Using an Electric Log Splitter
There are no prerequisites for using an electric log splitter. However, there are some things you should know before attempting to operate this huge product.
For one, you should know the different kinds of log splitters:
- -Manual log splitters are lightweight and easy to store. You can choose between foot-powered or hand-powered products, depending on what you prefer. Some are hydraulic, while others rely on manpower.
- -Electric log splitters are the most popular type. Similar to a gas splitter, these use electric motors instead of gas ones. Electric is more portable, and you can use it anywhere (indoors or outdoors). As you can find an outlet to connect it to power. When it comes to portable log splitters electric is the way to go.
- -Gas log splitters are the most powerful variety. They are for heavy-duty tasks like splitting larger logs of wood. These do not have to be plugged in for power, but they need to be used outdoors.
Before purchasing any product, you should know several specifications about the model you’re considering:
- Cycle time
- Engine power
- Size of the motor
- Splitting force
- Safety features
You also need to know what log size you can split, the power/ton size (5-ton, 7-ton, and 10-ton models are common), and whether you need to assemble it.
You might be wondering, “How many tons do I need for a log splitting machine?” The answer is that it depends on what you need the machine for and the size of the wood you will split. Please make sure to do your research and contact a professional if you’re still unsure about the size you’ll need.
Electric Wood Splitter Product Reviews
Now that we’ve gone over what to look for in an electric log splitter, let’s check out some popular makes. Keep in mind that there are plenty of other log splitters other than the ones listed here, so be sure to check out this guide as well as others that review other brands. This way, you’ll get a comprehensive view of the entire market and make an educated choice when purchasing. We’ll consider the price, features, specifications, and the pros and cons of each one.
This log splitter will please any outdoorsman (or woman). It’s got a powerful 5 ton RAM force and the stand, log tray, and stroke limiter are all included. This electric log splitter is portable, lightweight, and assembly doesn’t take tons of effort.
- 5-ton RAM force
- 20.5″ length and 10″ diameter log capacity
- 16-second cylinder cycle time
- 5″ wedge size
- 0.93-gallon hydraulic capacity
- 15-amp motor
- Weight: 108lb
- -2-year residential, 90-day commercial warranty
This electric log splitter is simply fantastic for the price. The price isn’t exorbitant, and it’s perfect for log splitting situations where you need to move the splitter around. You can even replace the parts of this product for free within the warranty. Overall, for the price, this log splitter is very recommended.[amazon box=”B01LB2EAJ2″]
This electric log splitter has a very large capacity, a powerful (15-amp motor), and a safety switch in case of an emergency. It’s got an exceptional 2-year warranty as well, so if anything goes wrong, you can replace parts for free.
- 15-amp motor
- 5-ton RAM force
- 10-inch log diameter
- 20-inch length of the log
- 1-gallon log capacity
- 6″ diameter tires
- Weight: 97lb
- 2-year warranty
This electric log splitter is small but powerful for the price. With its two-handed operation, the product is safe to operate, but that doesn’t mean it compromises quality. The price isn’t too bad either, and you can replace parts for free within the warranty![amazon box=”B0735LDGWT”]
With its built-in log cradle, short cylinder cycle time, and smaller wheels, this splitter works hard so you don’t have to. There are few reviews online, but the ones that are there are nothing but positive. It might be small, but it is mighty.
- 5-ton RAM force
- 15-amp electric motor
- 120V, 1.75HP
- 5.75″ diameter tires
- 14-second cylinder cycle time
There isn’t as much information online about this splitter, but that doesn’t mean it’s unreliable. With its reasonable price, it’s a good starter splitter for those who are new to the outdoor lifestyle.[amazon box=”B07SRDHV18″]
This aerodynamic-looking machine by Boss Industrial is a powerhouse. It’s got a 2HP electric motor and seven tons of splitting force, as well as a stellar warranty. It might come at a higher cost than some others on this list, but it’s well worth the price.
- 2HP motor
- 7 tons of splitting force
- One-handed operation
- 2-year residential warranty
- 3500PSI hydraulic pressure
Boss Industrial is one of the best brands to purchase from. This is one of the models that has a higher price, but it’s worth it. There are plenty of coupons that you can apply to reduce the price. It won’t be free, but it will make the price more affordable. Overall, I highly recommend this product.[amazon box=”B00GNSCGIW”]
Although not a full 7-ton electric log splitter, this powerful machine has tons of splitting force. It has a removable stand depending on how you like to split logs, and it’s easy to transport with its small wheels. This product isn’t too high in price either.
- 15A motor
- Removable 34-inch stand
- 5.5″ never-flat wheels
- Split logs 10″ diameter and 20.5″ length
- 13,000 lbs of cracking pressure
- 5-inch wedge
This is one of the best electric log splitters on the market for the price. If you need a wood splitter that is powerful but extremely versatile, look no further than this powerhouse. The price of this product couldn’t be better either![amazon box=”B074H739NS”]
Don’t be fooled by the basic look of this wood splitter. It packs tons of power in its small, lightweight frame. It has built-in wheels, which makes it easy to move around any area. It’s got not only power but safety as well.
- 3.5HP 2.2kW motor
- Motor is 3500RPM
- Hydraulic and portable
- 20.5″ length and 12″ diameter splitting
- Weight: 104lb
Although it looks small, this piece of machinery will cut your time splitting logs in half (at least), so you’ll be free to do other tasks. It has a warranty that lasts a year, so if you can’t operate it correctly, you can return it at no cost to you. You may also return and exchange parts when they fail within that window for free. This is a great product that cuts wood easily.[amazon box=”B004323O1I”]
Boss Industrial is a great name in the wood splitter industry. This absolute powerhouse of a splitter has a 10-ton splitting capacity for those heavy-duty pieces of wood. Thick, difficult logs don’t stand a chance with this splitter.
- 1-gallon hydraulic tank
- 16-19 second cycle time
- 22″ length log capacity
If you have a heavy-duty job, you need a machine with heavy-duty log splitting capabilities. This Boss Industrial wood splitter splits wood like it’s butter and has tons of power. You can throw out your ax knowing this genuine Boss Industrial product will have enough splitting force for anything.[amazon box=”B00GX4V13M”]
As you can see, choosing the perfect electric log splitter can be a difficult task. There are a lot of good choices, and you need to pick wisely if you want to start log splitting right away.
So, what is the best electric log splitter to buy?
Here’s my verdict.
The WEN 56207 6.5-Ton Electric Log Splitter is my pick for the best electric log splitter. It’s affordable, and although it is not quite 7 tons, it still packs tons of power in its light and sturdy frame. Compared to the other models, this is the best price for the value.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about these powerful products. Hopefully, you can find one that fits your purposes and budget!